Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bejeweled: 12 Essential Life Lessons of an iPhone MMO Game:

After many nights of me lying in bed trying to go to sleep, while my wife endlessly swiped away on her iPhone, she has finally convinced me to try her favorite addiction: Bejeweled 2 Blitz.  For those of you who have already tried your hand (or fingers) at this narcotic, you know just how addicting the game can be.  For those of you who have not yet tried it, I am not sure if I recommend it or not.  I have only been playing it for one night see, and I am not sure what the long-term effects may be.  However, if you would like to try it, I will give you a free sample, but you must pay me $1 each time you play thereafter.  See, I did learn something from New Jack City

If you have never played the game, it really isn’t much different from many of the other casual games out there; save that in this version, each game is only one minute, and your score will be compared with the scores of all of your Facebook friends.  After one night of playing, here are some of the Life Lessons that I have picked up:
  1.  I am not nearly as brilliant as I seem to think I am.  Perhaps I should not put myself up on a pedestal.
  2. My friends are far smarter than I give them credit for.  Perhaps I should tell them sometime.  Unless of course, they already know, and have put themselves up on the pedestal I just vacated.
  3. Never look at flashy lights; they are only there to distract you.
  4. Sometimes things line up perfectly, but we just don’t see it; damn those flashy lights!
  5. When stuck, sometimes it helps to change our depth of focus from short to long, or long to short. 
  6.  Don’t fixate on color; we must be open to the full spectrum, else we miss rewarding opportunities.
  7. While we may not be able to get a lot done in a minute, we can waste a lot of time in 60 second intervals.  Be mindful of every moment.
  8. While some playing fields may be easier to navigate than others, we must do the best with what we've been given.
  9. Sometime it’s ok to ask for help.
  10. Sometimes help that is offered is not the best solution.
  11. Sometimes, we just need to put the game on hold so that we can sleep.  Recovery is essential to performance.
  12. In the end, it doesn’t matter what your score was; it’s just a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment